Licenses come in the following forms:
- $30 - Single-track license (for individuals)
- $90 - Single-track license (for organizations)
- $12/month** - All-you-can-eat subscription (for individuals)
- $36/month** - All-you-can-eat subscription (for organizations)
**Subscriptions are charged as an annual fee of $144/yr or $432/yr (excl. taxes).
You can either pay for use of a single track, or you can purchase a subscription which allows you the use of all tracks on this site in any new media published during the subscription period.
When you buy a license, you will receive lossless .wav files (44.1KHz/16-bit) of the tracks you purchased.
Also see: Free-use options
I am a member of the performing rights organization IMRO. Regardless of whether or not you are using a paid license, if my music is used for broadcast (on television, radio), you are expected to file a cue sheet with your local PRO (ASCAP, BMI, PRS, SACEM, GEMA, etc.), providing the following info:
- Titles of the tracks used
- Composer: Steven Edward Lawrence O'Brien
- Publisher: Steven Edward Lawrence O'Brien
- PRO/Society Affiliation: IMRO
- CAE/IPI: 843124557
If you don't understand what any of the above means, it probably doesn't apply to you. This does not apply to usage on YouTube, Twitch, in video games, etc.
Content ID Safe!
All music on this page is free of YouTube's Content ID (also applies to Twitch, Facebook, etc). Monetization on your content will not be affected if you use it, and provided you follow the instructions listed below, you will not receive any copyright strikes or DMCA takedown notices.
- ❌ The music must be used in a transformative way. You cannot simply re-upload the music on its own, it needs to be used as part of your own original content. (i.e. using it as background music for a video, or redistributing the music files as part of a game, is fine)
- ❌ You absolutely, cannot, under any circumstances, upload any part of my music to distribution services such as Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, YouTube Music, etc. If you want to release a compilation soundtrack with my music, or if you want to use my music as part of your own original song, contact me for permission.
You will receive a DMCA takedown notice if you do this without permission, as I cannot risk having people be affected by spurious content ID claims.
- ❌ You cannot use my likeness, or claim that I endorse your content without explicit written permission.
If you are interested in free-use options for using my music, you may like RFCow's sister site https://www.steven-obrien.net/. All music on both rfcow.com and steven-obrien.net can be licensed under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution-NoDerivatives International License.
Who are you?
My name is Steven O'Brien, I'm 28, a composer living in Ireland, and I like long walks on the beach.
You can visit my personal site here if you want: https://www.steven-obrien.net/personal/
Did you compose the music on this site?
Yes, I composed and produced all of the music on this site. I do not use samples from, or make covers of, music written by other people.
How can I trust that you won't copyright strike my channel?
I have been offering Creative Commons music for well over a decade and have a long-established reputation. Here is an example of a video, with 42 million views, by Ze Frank, which uses my music, and has been in perfectly good copyright standing for a decade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdYaTa_lOf4.
I received a Content ID claim/Copyright Strike!
This is a fraudulent claim made by a third-party. This rarely happens, and I have safeguards in place to ensure that it stays that way. Email me, and I will ensure that it gets resolved.
Can I upgrade a previously purchased license/subscription?
Yes. Email me with the order numbers of the purchases you wish to upgrade, and I will give you a coupon code that will credit what you've already paid for the individual licenses.
Can I transfer a license/subscription?
I will review your request. Email me.
Can I cancel a subscription before it expires and receive a refund?
No. When you purchase a subscription, you are signing up to a one-year contract that is renewable annually. If this is not something you want, you should purchase a single-track license instead, or review the free-use options.
(This does not affect your statutory rights or apply to any provisions in the Music License Agreement)
Can I pay for a subscription on a monthly basis instead of a yearly basis?
No. See above.
Is it okay to use music on this site that is listed as being part of a "soundtrack" or album?
Yes! These soundtracks were written on commission, with a provision in the contract allowing me to later release it under a Creative Commons license and license it out separately. The people I wrote these soundtracks for are well aware of this and have no issue with it.